Tuesday 6 November 2012

JOUR1111 Lecture 13 Reflection - Conclusions to Course



In this week’s lecture, as it was the last week, things were run a little differently. There wasn’t any set area of journalism that we were going to look into; we had no PowerPoint or notes. Instead, we had a group discussion amongst the JOUR1111 students for this semester and some Jelly Belly jellybeans (which made my day!).

As a group we discussed a lot of things that came from what we had learnt over the semester. In doing this, I found myself thinking a lot about where I would like to go from here.
I have really enjoyed this semester, studying my first course in journalism. I found that the assessment we have gone through over the semester really didn’t seem like tedious work to me at all, instead I have enjoyed it. Writing this blog, especially the gaming reviews, has been a lot of fun. I have liked learning about journalism and gaining an understanding of what it’s all about and why it’s important, as well as enjoying the writing side of it. Because of this, it’s changed some of my plans for further studies. 



I’ve decided to apply to do a dual degree in Journalism/Arts, hoping to continue studying Journalism while also continuing courses in Criminology and Creative Writing, having also enjoyed studying in these areas.
I think I’d really enjoy a career in journalism now, if I could go into gaming or cosplay journalism for a blog like Kotaku or IGN.com it really would be a dream come true. Because of this, I have taken up continuing to write gaming and gaming/cosplay convention reviews and journal entries on personal blog on tumblr. I think this could be a way to take my first step of many into a future career that I know I could enjoy. Surrounding myself with my hobbies every day, as a part of a job, would really be a blessing. And any reason to play more games or cosplay more is totally okay with me!

If not, the idea of Investigative Journalism sounds really appealing to me. I think exposing the truth to the public, while journalists put themselves at risk to do so, could be called brave. The journalists that do it have my respect. Honestly, I really like Julian Assange, I like that he stands up to those in power and tries to expose the darker side of the truth for what it really is. The only problem with doing this is the fact that this can endanger lives. I’m not sure if I could disconnect myself from something emotionally and expose a story if I know I could endanger lives, or jobs, or homes, or something along those lines. I suppose that would all just come with practice and learning. 

Overall, I’ve found this course incredibly enjoyable. I’ve learnt things in the past 13 weeks that are going to stick with me for sure. Even now, as I watch the news, there’s small things I manage to pick up on or critique that I can relate back to things I have learnt in JOUR1111. I look forward to any future Journalism courses I find myself in, for sure.

-Laura
26/10/12

No comments:

Post a Comment