Thursday 16 August 2012

JOUR1111 Lecture 2 Reflection - "New News" and "Old News"

Inverted Pyramid of Journalism

You can tell when you are in a great course when you are given bags of jellybeans to eat mid-lecture as a way to learn about entitlement. Not just any jellybeans either, Jelly Belly’s, one of my all-time favorite lollies.

Today, in our second lecture for the semester we moved away from the introductions into the course and straight into “New News” and “Old News”. As one could guess, “New News” is all about how we get our daily dosage of news in this modern, technologically driven world that is the 2000s. And of course, “New News” is the internet. “Old News” is the traditional ways media platforms shared news with the public, like newspapers, magazines and television.

It was really interesting to think about how much has changed in just a few years, back in 2007 I was still using dial-up connection internet where webpages took what felt like an hour to load, whereas, now that just seems absurd. I’m accessing my Facebook within seconds on my phone and playing a 3D game like Temple Run rather than Snake 2 on my old brick-like Nokia.  My Sims are now living on my phone rather than in a disc drive on my desktop computer. 

Most of this lecture was focused on “New News”. The changes the World Wide Web has gone through since it first took off. It’s hard to even imagine Web 1.0, which was considered a place for companies to advertise more than anything else, to Web 2.0 and the future of the internet using Web 3.0. For about as long as I can remember, I have been amongst the Web 2.0 users, producing my own photos, videos, statuses, blogs etc. through social networking. I’ve enjoyed having the creators of webpages hand the reins over to us, the users, and let us drive it as an online community. I’m hoping that this will continue as Web 3.0 rolls out across the world with its (super useful) meta-tagging and focus on individuals as users. I am really interested to see what is ahead for us on the internet.

~Laura
30/07/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment