Thursday 16 August 2012

JOUR1111 Lecture 1 Reflection - Introduction

Inverted Pyramid of Journalism

The first lecture for JOUR1111 in semester 2 at University of Queensland started today, and honestly, I’m pretty excited. Today was just a basic introduction into what was ahead for us in the course, but I think the assessment is going to be pretty cool. I’ve never blogged before, and being able to get credit, just for blabbering on about things I like seems like a pretty good deal to me.

In the lecture, something really stood out to me today, it was the view of news as entertainment. It got me thinking about how true that statement really is, reading facts and statistics in a textbook isn’t anywhere near as interesting as reading, listening to or viewing a news story. We get the information we want to know about the story, yet it’s engaging. It’s something you can take in, gain knowledge from and remember without it feeling anything like study. I found that to be something to reflect on, I watch the news on television to take a break from studying, or just for the sake of sitting on the couch and being able to relax. It never feels like a boring, educational learning experience in any way.
Just something for me to think about.

-Laura
23/07/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment